Specialist, Safety & Regulatory
New York, New York
Founded in 1997, Maesa provides innovative, high quality exclusive beauty products, driving value and differentiation for retailers and brand owners. Maesa operates three categories of business – exclusive brands for mass and drug retailers, private label for specialty retailers and outsourcing for beauty brands. Maesa partners with over 80 global customers such as Elizabeth Arden, L’Oreal, Parlux, Ralph Lauren, Sally Beauty, Target, Banana Republic, The Body Shop, Ulta, Walmart, and Zara. Launching over 3,000 proprietary products a year, Maesa delivers proprietary design, product development, speed-to-market, cost savings, and resource efficiencies. With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Vienna, Dubai, Hong Kong, and Dongguan, Maesa employs over 250 team members worldwide with over 110 employees in the US.
Maesa is currently seeking an individual to join our team. This person will handle multiple Safety & Regulatory responsibilities and assignments. This role reports to Senior Manager, Safety & Regulatory. Roles and responsibilities will expand to other areas based on candidate’s skill-level and performance.
- Engages and establishes partnerships across function areas, manufacturing vendors, testing labs and clients to communicate, collaborate, influence, and implement safety and regulatory strategies
- Leads and participates in cross-functional meetings with Business Partners across brand clients and functions. Supports Business Partners during Product Development to establish safety / regulatory requirements
- Manage personal care safety and performance testing: participates in strategy development, creates implementation plan, and executes to drive change
- Analyzes data to support safety / regulatory policy decisions
- Works cross functionally with business partners on new product developments. Performs product line reviews and attends weekly operational meetings with business partners
- Researches safety and regulatory requirements in US and international markets to support global expansion (FDA, Health Canada, EU, new markets, etc.). Determines requirements and reviews Vendor documentation and / or testing to support safety and claims
- Manages day-to-day testing with Laboratories and reviews test reports to ensure compliance. Testing may include microbiological, patch testing, finished product stability, production release, out-of-specification investigations, etc.
- Communicates testing failures to Maesa business partners and Vendors. Provides risk assessments and consults with clients as necessary to enable the business to make decisions
- Provides training to Vendors and internal business partners on the testing program and protocols
- Assists in the development of product specifications while working with Marketing, Product Development, and Laboratory teams. Review specifications annually and updates as needed
- Tracks customer complaints and appropriate escalates to Senior Management, Legal, and Client Partners as needed
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a minimum of 1-3 years of experience in a personal care, cosmetics, or over-the-counter drug (OTC) company with knowledge of FDA regulations. Also beneficial is knowledge of EU, Asia & Health Canada regulations
- Demonstrates research, technical writing, and communication skills in English
- Proven ability to think strategically, creatively, and analytically. Ability to work with both qualitative and quantitative information
- Ability to effectively partner and motivate across functions and with outside vendors
- Solid organizational skills and ability to influence and resolve differing viewpoints
- Working proficiency of Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience